- 25 million people in the United States suffer from addiction
- 2/3 of American families are affected by addiction
- People who participate in 12-step program are taught to use specific language to talk about their addiction. Language is crucial when informing outside people about recovery from addiction
- Addiction is an illness, not a choice, most people cannot simply stop.
- Many 12-step programs include anonymity clauses in their code of conduct. This has caused much confusion amongst members of 12-step programs in past and continues to do so.
- 23 million Americans are living in long-term recovery
- Though untreated addiction costs America over 350 billion dollars every year very little of it goes towards preventing it
- Every year there are marches all over the country in support of people living in long-term recovery from addiction
- The majority of people in US prisons are incarcerated for drug-related crimes, around 80%
- There are a number of high schools throughout the United States with addiction recovery based programs
About the author